2012年2月2日星期四

Never regret the addiction to debate

    When lots of students try their best to make their Spring Festival Holiday longer in order to accompany with their family, debate workshop in Macau force me to say goodbye to my family on the second day of the Spring Festival. It is kind of cruel when celebrations in Beijing are still in the beginning. I even didn't watched the Chinese New Year Gala from other TV channel. I even didn't enjoyed the tradition of making dumplings on the fifth day of the Spring Festival. When I arrived in Macau, listening the sound of the fireworks, walking into the dormitory with few people, taking out the box with home made beef, the feeling of regret was about to burst out. My mother had asked several times that if the workshop was necessary. She would like to change the date of the flight so that I can stay longer in the home. But I insisted to participate the workshop and implement my promise to the English Debate Team. I really feel sorry to my family because next year I may spent my spring festival in other countries. 
        During the four days in the winter workshop and tournament, Shipping and I as Super Junior broke into the grand final with the 1st position in every round. In total, there were 5 rounds. Although we didn't get the champion in the end, both of us achieved the 1st best speaker in this mini tournament. This is the second time that I stand on the stage with that piece of certificate, standing in the limelight. Ultimately, I found that I did achieve something no matter how big it is. The memory of the past year has just opened 
       Lots of students admire debaters charms when they are give us an organized, logical and fluent speech. I was used to be one of the followers among them. After I participated in the whole training process, I realized that those charms are cultivated through numerous practices and widely reading. Not everyone is able to be persistent and determinant along the way to pursue this confidence. Passion would fade away gradually when debate brings you lots of burden and stress. Twice general meeting and almost 8 hours practice a week make people feel tired of debate especially during those exam intensive weeks. As a committee member, I also has to  handle those administrative things related to money. Debate has been taken away lots of time for academic and other enjoyable events in life. Because of debate, I gave up concerts, time for revision, dinner and squash with my friends. Therefore, when I came across the fact that I didn't get the chance to go to the tournament that I should have gone, I was really upset and disappointed. But those disappointed moment in my memory has been removed by this achievement in the mini tournament. Maybe this certificate is not official and may not play key role in my CV. Yet this piece of paper and those congratulations indeed help me to find the courage, confidence and passion to go on the way of being a great debater which is the everyone's dream initially. 
      I am really thankful to my friends and mentors who accompany with me along the way of finding myself. The advantage of being in the English Debate Team is that you would never find yourself alone. In here you can always find people who are more eager than you to analyze the logical link hiding inside those excellent arguments. In here group of people are talking about political theory and disputes happening in those middle east countries. In here, the equality of the human rights, the freedom of choice and body autonomy are the principles we are following.  
     Although I have lots of sadness and happiness during the process of being a great debater, I would like to say that I would never regret that I choose to be part of this crazy team. Yes, we are crazy. We forget ourselves when we are giving our argument to the judges. At that time, we really feel that we are those politicians in those movies struggling for more right and benefit for our citizens. 

     Continue to be a great debater! And Never regret the addiction to debate! 
     
      

没有评论:

发表评论