2012年2月8日星期三

Discover myself in HC tutor's class

     After registered as a tutor in Honors College tutor program,  I was appointed by a student in my first class today. When I was not prepared to be a tutor, I already have my first student in life. The experience of being a tutor finally make me understand the joy of helping others to improve.
          Studying under the pressure of the mainland education system, lots of students may have the mindset that teachers are the most powerful people in the campus. When we have hundreds of assignment or exam papers to finish in certain subject, we may feel unhappy about it. But actually, I think it is another way for the teachers to get the feedback from students in order to confirm whether students have absorb the knowledge well. Teaching needs the involvement of both teachers and students. From my own perspective, teachers are not so confidence about their method of education. Good teachers get positive feedback from students to help them reinforce their teaching content and method. And seeing the improvement of students, teachers can feel the true happiness from the inner heart. 
          The night before the tutor class, it is very complicated to describe what I feel or expect for next day's class. I was worried about whether I can use easy words to answer questions from my students. On the other hand, I also was excited to achieve the dream when I was a childhood which is being a teacher. My first student is a boy who also want to apply for the Honors College. He felt anxious about his accounting course. The problem he asked mainly are some fundamental issues that the professor should have been mentioned in the class. During the process of explaining those basic concepts, I found that the main problem was that he was not dedicated and patient enough to study accounting. Instead telling him the answer directly, I try to guide him to tell me the answer by giving some hints. When he can answer all my small questions, he surprisingly found that accounting was not such a boring and difficult course. Witnessing the improvement and the lovely smile from him, the sense of achievement was moving around me. 
          Keep talking continuously for almost 1.5 hour, I didn't even feel thirsty and exhausted. Instead, more energy filled in my body with the process of the course. The previous nervous was removed and I felt more comfortable and fluent in defining those terminologies integrated with my own experience in exercises and the real world. When he told me that he suddenly acquire the skill to learn accounting, the inner happiness makes me feel energetic and encouraging. 
         The main concept we learnt from the Honors College is that we should grasp every opportunity to try to influence others. I never thought that there are actually considerable chances in my life that I am able to catch to influence others. Influence is not a word that is abstract and vogue. Influence can be everything. Cheering others up, being a tutor and even writing thank-note to others can be a way of involving in the society and the world. We are not the lost generation. On the contrary, we are the generation that helping more and more lost people to  pursue their dreams. Money makes you happy is a lie. True happiness can not be exchanged through money. 
        To all the teachers in the world, you are the best leaders in every student's memory. Thank you all for your effort to share with us your knowledge and your life experience. 
         Hope there will be more surprises in the journey of being a tutor!
     


        
           
           

没有评论:

发表评论